Arts Education, Steps Ahead (AESA)
At Steps Ahead we believe art is an integral component of a student’s rounded education. During these challenging times, the health and safety of our faculty and students remain of utmost importance and therefore we are embarking on this new opportunity for students in the Cowichan Valley to participate in a creative, explorative and physically challenging program.
- AESA has been formed to offer an alternative to public school for those seeking an enriched arts education in Grades 5, 6 and 7.
- AESA offers a safe, exclusive cohort with a maximum of 8 students.
- AESA offers support to students as they follow their online core curriculum through SIDES (South Island Distance Education School) or similar (as arranged by the family)
- AESA is committed to offering opportunities that allow a deeper exploration of the performing arts.
Exploring and creating
Reasoning and reflecting
Communicating and documenting
Art Education Including:
Physical and health education: How do we see others. Healthy choices. Individual, group and community health.
Physical literacy: Healthy and Active living. Social and Community Health.
9 am – Morning welcome and daily PBT workout
Progressing Ballet Techniques – https://pbt.dance/
9.30 am – Daily news and current events – Students to research and share current local and world news and reflect on impacts.
9.45 am – ACADEMIC TIME – SLOT #1 (Students will work on academic core subjects via SIDES or similar on laptops provided by the family)
10.45 am – Snack/break time – unstructured 15mins for nourishment, hygiene and relaxation.
11 am – DANCE CLASS
Monday- Ballet. Tuesday – Tap/Acro. Wednesday – Jazz. Thursday – Modern.
All dance classes will enrich and challenge the dancer in a safe environment. These classes will not follow a syllabus, as per the after-school classes, but will complement this work.
Noon – Lunch Break – unstructured 25mins for nourishment, hygiene, fresh air and relaxation
12.25pm ACADEMIC TIME – SLOT #2 (as per time slot #1)
1.15 pm – ART ENRICHMENT
Monday – Drama/Acting. Tuesday – Musical Theatre and Elements of Choreography. Wednesday – Possible Visual Art (Elements of Design). Thursday – Music and Voice.
2.15 pm – Dismissal.
Students will be given the opportunity to create and share elements of each performing art. Examples could include Mill Bay Light Up, Children and Apple Pie and other local community events.
9am – 2.15pm Monday – Thursday
SD79 and Steps Ahead Dance Calendar followed
$180 per week (plus GST) – invoiced monthly.
Vacation weeks not charged.
Any student registered in AESA receives a 40% discount on all tuition fees for Steps Ahead Dance classes.
Laptop computer for academic work.
Dance clothing including shoes and PBT supplies (uniform colour TBA)
Daily snack and lunch
Clear labelled tote to transport and store supplies.
- In the case of more than 8 students applying for the opportunity, an audition/interview will take place prior to acceptance.
- 30 days notice required upon withdrawal.
Please contact us for further information or to express interest: